The Department of Statistics is one of the leading departments in the college since its establishment in 1988. There are very few colleges in West Bengal offering Statistics at undergraduate level outside Kolkata and Haldia Government College is one of them. Presently, the Department of Statistics of the college has full strength of teaching staff. The Department has computer laboratories separately for the teachers and the students. The departmental seminar library consisting of a good collection of text and reference books are also accessible to the students. Faculties of the Department are engaged in various UGC-sponsored Minor Research Projects together with their involvement in teaching of all the regular courses. The Department also organizes seminars or workshops at regular intervals. Presently, the Head of the Department is Dr. Shyamsundar Sahoo.
Statistics is an emerging discipline of science engaged in learning from data which involves collection, presentation, analysis and interpretation by using inductive reasoning of Theory of Probability. It has wide applications in almost all disciplines of science and technology, and consequently, the students with Statistics have job/career opportunities in several government and private sectors. The course structure under Vidyasagar University is very well-designed which consists also of components from the disciplines of Mathematics and Computer Programming. After completion of the undergraduate course, the students get the opportunity to study for their Master’s degree in several reputed Universities/Institutions. The students from the department are now established in various academic and business sectors. Only those students who pass the H.S examination with Mathematics as a major subject can apply for the course of B.Sc. Honours in Statistics in the college.
- State-sponsored workshop on Applications and Career Aspects of Statistics held on October 7, 2013.
- One-Day seminar on An Overview of Clinical Research: Career Opportunities in Biostatistics & SAS Programming held on October 31, 2014.
- Seminar lecture on Accelerating Science and Skilling for the Next-Generation of Jobs: A Global exposure held on March 1, 2017.
- One day seminar on Probability and Statistics on March 5, 2018
|Dr. Shyamsundar Sahoo||Assistant Professor|
|Sibsankar Karan||Assistant Professor|
|Tanmay Kumar Maity||Assistant Professor|
|Bijitesh Halder||Assistant Professor|
- Deception with Graphs
- Design of Experiments
- Missing Plot Technique
- Statistical Quality Control
- Time Series Analysis
- Actuarial Statistics: Individual risk models
- Collective risk models for short term periods
- Multivariate Normal distribution
- Principal Component Analysis
- Factor Analysis
- Design of Experiments 2
- Assignments on Actuarial Statistics