Economics is the study of scarcity and its implications for the use of resources, production and consumption of goods and services, both individually and collectively and the growth of production and welfare over time, and a great variety of other complex issues of vital concern to society. Economics, in general, focuses on the actions of human beings, based on assumptions that humans act with rational behavior, seeking the most optimal level of benefit or utility. Economics as a subject has evolved through the ages. Study of economics in modern times is basically based on Mathematics, Statistics and Econometrics. These are used to study and analyse data of different sectors for understanding economic conditions of the nations, markets, different sectors of an economy and business cycles.
As it is a very broad subject, it has many vast branches. Theoretically, economics has many branches: the traditional ones like Micro Economics, Macro Economics, Financial Economics, International Trade, Development Economics, Public Finance, Labour Economics and the newer ones like Environmental Economics, Economics of Health and Education, Behavioural Economics. In India, the different issues and debates related to the Indian Economy and rural development are very important.
The department of Economics of Haldia Government College, one of the oldest departments of the college, started its journey in 1988 with honours course. It offers the opportunity of intensively learning the subject with huge scope and prospects in future carrier of the students. The departmental seminar library has a good number of text and reference books for the use of the students as well as the teachers. The faculty maintains a very well-knit Student-Teacher relationship with regular (and often one to one) interactions to improve students’ academic performances. The department believes in frequent interactions with parents/guardians of the students to develop a strong feedback system.
- Students of our department get admission in Vidyasagar University (VU) and other Universities for post graduate studies.
- Aspire for studying MBA
- Get job opportunities in private sector
- Department organized an International webinar on “Rethinking Sustainable Development in post-COVID period: From the Economists’ Desk” on 22nd September 2020.
Mode of Teaching:
The department encourages student centric teaching-learning process with active involvement of students and teachers. The students are acquainted with digital mode of learning using different virtual platforms and are made aware about different e-resources of study materials. In Choice Based Credit System (C.B.C.S), students have opportunities of studying different inter-departmental/disciplinary subjects which are helpful for their future career and job selection. Now at U.G. level students become capable of handling project work/research activities using different statistical research tools both theoretically and practically.
- Teaching (School, College and University level)
- Job opportunities in banking sector
- Administrative jobs in public sector
- Managerial job in corporate sector
- Indian Economic Service (IES)
- Bureau of Applied Economics and Statistics (BAE&S) under Department of Planning and Statistics
- West Bengal Civil Service (W.B.C.S.) and Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- Job of Research Associates and Economic analysists in different project, Enterprises, NGOs and Organizations.
- Analyst in Security market
- Television and News Paper Journalism
|Dr. Manuela Pal||Associate Professor and Head of Department||View profile|
|Dr. Gautam Bhowmik||Assistant Professor||View Profile|