Dr. Salil Kumar Dutta
|Name||Dr. Salil Kumar Dutta|
|Designation||Government Approved Part-Time Lecturer|
|Highest Degree||M.Sc, Ph.D.|
|Teaching Area||Social-Cultural Anthropology (Covering all areas)|
- Bhattacharya, R., D.Sanyal and S.K.Dutta, M.Ghosh and S.Bhattachryya, 2010. Socio-Demographic Comparison and Impact of Aila: The Super Cyclone in Gosaba of West Bengal, Indian Journal of Community Medicine 35(3), pp 429-432.
- Dutta S.K., 2006. Tiger Prawn Seed (TIPS) Fishing: A New Occupation in the Sunderban Eco-region, The Oriental Anthropologists, Serials Publications, New Delhi, India, 6(1), pp 157-167.
- Chowdhury, A.N., R. Shasmal, S.K. Dutta and M.G. weiss, 2004. “Ethnographic Survey of Deliberate Self-Harm in Some Villages of Sundarban Delta, West Bengal”, Journal of Indian Anthropological Society 39, pp 173 – 182.
- Chowdhury, A.N. D. Sanyal. S.K. Dutta, and M.C. Weiss, 2003. ‘Deliberate Self-Harm by Ingestion of Poisons on Sagar Island in the Sundarban Delta, India’, International Medical Journal, 10(2), pp. 85-91.
- Chowdhury, A.N. D. Sanyal S.K. Dutta, M.G. Weiss, S. Banerjee, R.De, K. Bhattacharya, S. Palit, P. Bhattacharya, A. Bhattacharya and R. K. Mandol, 2001. “Interrater Reliability of the EMIC in a Pilot Field Study in West Bengal’, International Medical Journal, 8(1), pp. 25-29.
- Chowdhury, A.N. D. Sanyal. S.K. Dutta, M.G. Weiss, S.Banerjee, R. De. K. Bhattacharya, S. Palit, P. Bhattarcharya, A. Bhattacharya and R. K. Mandal, 2001, ‘Prominence of Symptoms and Level of Stigma among Depressed Patients in Calcutta’, Journal of Indian Medical Association, 99(1), pp. 20-23.
- Chowdhury, A.N., D. Sanyal. S.K. Dutta, M.G. Weiss, S. Banerjee, R.De, K. Bhattacharya, S. Palit, P. Bhattacharya, A. Bhattacharya and R. K. Mandal, 2000. ‘Stigma and Mental Illness: Pilot Study of Laypersons and Health Care Providers with the EMIC in Rural West Bengal, India’. International Medical Journal, 7(4), pp. 257-260.
- Chowdhury, A.N., S. K. Dutta, M.G. Weiss, S. Mukherjee and A.K. Chakraborty, 1999. ‘Eco-psychiatry of urbanization in Sundarban Deltas: Study of Drug and Alcohol Problems’, Man and Life, 25(3-4), pp. 187-196.
- Chakraborty, A., A.N. Chowdhury, M. G. Weiss and S. K. Dutta 1999. Physical and mental community health: What are the obstacles! Indian Journal of Public Health, 43, 101-105.
Articles in Edited Volumes
- Dutta S. K., 2012. ” Recruitment Procedure and Status of Workers: an observation on Industries of two States in India” (Co-authors- Dr.Dibyendu Maiti and Mr.Avijit Halder), in Sudip Bhui(eds.)” Human Resource Development: Issues and Challenges” which will be published from Abhijit Publication within April, 2013.
- Dutta S. K., 2010. “Community and Tuberculosis: A Study in Western Sundarban, West Bengal” in R.K.Mutatkar, Ajit K.Danda and Bikash Bhatt (eds.).Studies on Bio-Medical Anthropology Profiles of Health Cultures. Indian National Confederation and Academy of Anthropologists, Indira Gandhi Rastriya Manav Sangrahalaya and Aryan Books International, New Delhi, pp.205-208
- Dutta S. K., 2007, ‘Coastal Erosion Changes in Socio-Economic Life : A study in Sagar Islands of Sundarbans’ in Rajat Kanti Das and Ajit K. Danda (eds.). Anthropology of Management. Indian National Confederation and Academy of Anthropologists, Kolkata, pp. 103-119.
- Dutta S.K., 2006, A Comparative Study on health of Lodha & Other Communities in Mangrove Ecology, in Arnab Ghosh (eds.). Environment, Drinking Water and Public Health problems and Future Goals’. Daya Publishing House, Delhi, pp. 172-184.
- Dutta S.K., 2006. ‘Growing Conflicting Relationship at the Intercommunity Level in Sagar Island: Sunderban, West Bengal in Ajit K. Danda, Satyabrata Chakraborti and Arabinda Basu (eds.). Social Unrest. Proceedings of the First Inter-Congress. Indian National Confederation and Academy of Anthropologists. Kolkata. Volume – 2, pp. – 123 – 134.
- Chowdhury, A.N. M.G. Weiss, S.K. Dutta, A. Chakraborty and S. Mukherjee 1999. ‘Treatment of Schizophrenia in the Community: Experience from the Sundarban Delta’. Proceeding of WHO International Symposium on community care of Schizophrenia in Developing Country, NIMHANS, Bangalore, pp. 50-51.
- Dutta S. K., 2008“Uman Nei Ala” – (They did not return) a drama on a case study of family, who had lost their two members by tiger attack in Sundarban on 2005. Written and directed on Mundari language, played at the stage of WWF, India, in front of the then Secretary, Sunderban Development Board, West Bengal, on 2nd June.
- Dutta S. K., 2003 “Avayaranyer Fullara Kajal Debi” – (A casestudy of a boat living family in Sundarban forest area) : Gramonnoyan Katha, Asur Ali Gramonnoyan Parisad, Sadhur Hatt, South 24 Parganas, West Bengal. Vol – 3, No. – 4, pp. 23-26.
- Dutta S. K., 2002“Je Bhul Ekhono… Sagar Diper Ayatan, Kichu Katha.” (An article on the faulty measurement of Sagar Islands by Survey of India since 1951) Sagar Bela, Sagar, 24 Parganas (S), West Bengal,Vol – 14, Poush, pp. 24-27.
- Dutta S. K. 1997, “Sataparbar Ekti Nritatyik Alochona” – (A case study on Bamboo and Munda socio-economic life): Samay Sarany edited & published in Medinipur, West Bengal, India,Vol-15,No,2,pp.15-29.
- Dutta S. K. 1997, “Prithimpure Ekdin” – Published in Dainik Upatyaka, a News Paper in Medinipur. West Bengal, India,13th January,Vol.7/4,pp.2&4.
- Dutta S. K. 1997, “Pacha Doba” an audio drama on AIDS written and acted and Broadcasted “Chetna”, Radio Varitus, Asia, from Manilla, Phillipines, on 4th August.
- Dutta S. K., 2013. “Status of a De-Notified Tribe of West Bengal: An Anthropological observation at Jungle Mahal,”paper selected for the publication of the edited volume of the National Seminar on ‘Labour Market and Issues of Adivasis in India’, 17-18 January 2013 at NIRD Hyderabad.
- Dutta S. K., 2011. “Lodha and their Health Status: A Study at a Village at Jungal Mahal in West Bengal”, Paper received at National Seminar on Tribal Health in Central India: Issues and Challenges, organised by Bastar Viswavidyalaya, (Dharampura) Jagdalpur, Dist. Bastar, Chhattishgarh, India, on 15&16 September, 2011. Will be published soon.
Projects handled so far
- RESEARCH PROJECTS UNDERTAKEN (PREDOCTORAL)
- February 1998 – May 2001
Worked as a Research Supervisor in the project “Cultural Research for Mental Health: Methodology and Application in Rural Sundarban Region of West Bengal” of the Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel in collaboration with Department of Psychiatry, IPGME & R. Responsibilities involved research planning, research coordination and writing reports. Phase one of the projects, which was essentially ethnographic field research in six representative villages of the region identifying the characteristics of the local health system and the language of health, illness, emotional distress and disorder. In this phase the ecological and environmental features of the community were also considered with respect to their impact on people’s lives in the different villages. I was involved from February 1998 to May 2001.
Phase two involved administering EMIC (Explanatory Model Interview Catalogue) through which perceptions of the patients, non-affected persons and health care providers were captured.
- May – December 2001.
Worked as a Research Supervisor in the WHO project “Community Outreach Drug and Alcohol Prevention Programme” in collaboration with Department of Psychiatry, IPGME&R in the Sundarbans on 2001.
- February 1998 – May 2001
- January – December 2004
Worked on the project Socio-cultural Adaptations among the Migrated Santhals of the Sundarbans, West Bengal with the Department of Anthropology, Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, West Bengal.
- May 2001 –December 2003
Worked on my Ph.D dissertation “Impact of Eco-stress and Depleting Eco-resources on the life of Displaced Population of Sagar Island in West Bengal” at the Department of Anthropology, Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, West Bengal.
- January – December 2004
- RESEARCH PROJECTS UNDERTAKEN (AFTER THE DOCTORAL AWARD)
- October – May 2009.
Worked as Field Co-ordinator of the project sponsored by Consortium of Institution for Pro-Poor Growth (DFID-UK) is jointly organised by Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta and University of Manchester, UK and in collaboration with Institute of Economic Growth, University of Delhi, to understand the present industrial setting in India. Job responsibilities involve on survey of industries like Jute, Cotton, Polymer, Cement and Iron & Steel in the states of West Bengal and Gujarat with report writing from 16th October to 15th May 2009.
- March-May, 2008
Worked as a Principal Investigator on WWF-India sponsored project, Impact of Climate change on Agriculture for the period of 1988 – 2005 at Namkhana Block, 24 Pgs (S)”, Responsibilities involved on research planning, research coordination, statistical analysis and writing reports on March–May, 2008.
- November, 2007
A Survey on Socio-economic Condition and Human Wildlife Conflict- conducted by WWF-India at Bally village under Gosaba block of Sundarban region from 4th – to 10th– November, worked as a Field Investigator.
- October – May 2009.
- December 2012-January 2013
“Services that old age people need on day to day basis” an anthropological study on the people of above the 60 years of age in Kolkata. A project supervised and organized under Field Search, Calcutta
- May 2011 – September 2013
An Anthropological observation had done by self finance at Jungle Mahal region of Paschim Medinipur district of West Bengal to know the Status of a De-Notified Tribe of West Bengal.
- August 2010-February 2012
Intensively afforded for one and half years to develop the Socio-economic Condition of the down trodden and under developed community of Paschim Medinipur district of West Bengal. Especial attention had been given to establish entrepreneurships by providing training and awareness generation after doing a need base analysis as consultant of Community Development through Polytechnics(CDTP) scheme under Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar Polytechnic, Jhargram, Paschim Medinipur ,West Bengal
- May-November 2010
Worked as a Field Co-ordinator of the project sponsored by Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta, organised by Tea Board of India to study the two projects, (i)Quantitative Study on Tea Industry in Assam, North Bengal and South India and (ii)Land Resource Utilizations with Reference to Labour in Assam, North Bengal and South India. For this purpose, we conducted a survey of stakeholders of tea industries in major tea producing states of India to experience on Empirical Status of Land Resource Utilizations with Relationships, Behaviors and Social Securities with Quality of Life of Labourer in Tea Garden Areas of India.
- January – February2008
Research Coordinator on a project on Socio-economic Condition Survey through Census and PRA including GPS mapping organised by Field Search, Kolkata, at Dukuria village of Chapra block of Nadia district, conducted from 7th January to 18th January of 2008.
- January 2005 – December 2006
Research Coordinator on a project on Status of Health of Lodha/Savar of Mousuni and Sagar island of Sundarbans regions of West Bengal sponsored by WWF-India Climate Adaptation Programme.
- December 2012-January 2013